I took the opportunity of this induction into laser cutting to create panels (as tests for potentially making pieces fore the Caravan Theatre) for a 'Wind in the Willows Episode Calendar. These four panels relate to the seasons, i.e. one for each, and listed are 13 episodes of 'The Wind in the Willows'. There are 52 episodes in total in the series and I have sorted them into seasonal order, i.e. there is a particular one that I recommend watching on any one of the 52 weeks in
Now it's time to get down to shooting at London Metropolitan University almost full time for five weeks (while working on making the main body of the caravan out of plywood in-between). A gallery here shows the setting up of a green screen and lights in a room, with the help of technician Naomi Groves. She suggested using LCD light boxes for lighting the green screen and dedos for the puppet, and the separation worked very well. I have also experimented with the projection of
Here is a selection of photos and images showing the development of the first animation tests of the puppet against green screen and actually performing part of the song, culminating in a final video showing the complete verse set in the autumn, focusing on my (the character's) passion for 'The Wind in the Willows'. This test features some projection of a separate costume in order to make the character appear a little like the character of Toad. His 'look' includes a green fa
I have produced these guides to help me with animating. All the mouths and hands have been numbered and 'pre-animation' will be planned out with the mouths according to the dialogue. This means that when I animate the character I can concentrate on body language (and selecting the most appropriate hands), secure in the knowledge that the mouths are working. These will be marked out on X-sheets, built in to DragonFrame (Stop Motion) software.
This short video shows some initial camera tests for green screen removal, using Keylight in Adobe After Effects, for my MA Animation project on nostalgia. There is some success here, although the automatic colour correction, built into Keylight within After Effects, does make the puppet look like he has a tan! It should work fine though for the purpose of this project, considering the unorthodox screen it will be shown on.
This is a series of stills showing the setup in my studio at home. One half is where I work and do the animation tests, and will be re-making and maintaining the caravan theatre, while the other half consists of my 'Wind in the Willows' collection and, for now, the caravan hanging from the ceiling. Projection tests onto this are also depicted here.
These are a series of charcoal drawings based on photos I took of two key places from my childhood - my first home, from birth until I was 4 (33 Ash Tree Field, Harlow) and Latton Common in Harlow, near to my second childhood home (age 4 to 19). There is also a time lapse video here, showing the process of the drawings, and some of the reference photos. These drawings will be showcased in the project through projection (behind and around the character as he performs).
Here's a video of the caravan (replica from the one from Cosgrove Hall's 'The Wind in the Willows') being hung in my study. It was getting in the way, so where better to put it than the ceiling??? Projection tests can also then take place for the continuation of my MA Animation project.
Now back after my break in studies, which was due to an opportunity of working as an Animator on Aardman's 'Early Man' (2018 feature, directed by Nick Park) over the summer, I began by taking some photos of the snow we got in January 2018. These were taken at Harlow Town Park, meaning I now have a series of photos in 'extreme' weather of Summer, Autumn and Winter - and when the Spring comes I'll have the 'set' of four seasons. Eventually they will be put together and will be
Selections of photos I took at Harlow Town Park, mainly of the views from the park benches. This is so i can combine these Summer photos with that of Autumn. Winter will be done later in t he year (hopefully there will be snow) and Spring also.
Here are a series of stills showing the development of the puppet. This includes fabrication of the armature using foam to build up the body (flesh), ans sculpting/[painting of the hair. The mouths are also numbered and the puppet is posed in various positions to see how he will work in animation.