Thursday 21st April 2016 - Thoughts on Childhood Nostalgia (Plotting Out of Film)
· We hear the sound of, supposedly, a horse and carriage rolling along the road.
· We fade into a hazy child's bedroom. The wallpaper, out of focus, depicts a mixture of blue and pink teddy bears, mixed with clouds, and the furniture is white overall. The camera angles are from a low stand point, looking up at these walls and at the furniture, which seem huge (it's from a child's - me - perspective).
· We hear childlike sounds, with the sense of the opening of a Postman Pat episode faintly in the background, seemingly coming from downstairs. There might also be hints of Orm and Cheep, Chockerblock, Emu's Pink Windmill, Pigeon Street and others.
· LOOK INTO COPYRIGHT OF VERY SHORT SOUND CLIPS AND THE IDEA OF ROTOSCOPING SHOTS (WITHIN THE ROOM) TO CREATE A HAZY, DREAMLIKE ATMOSPHERE (WE ARE IN THE PAST).
· Suddenly the camera shakes gently and the sound of the horse and carriage returns.
· We eventually pan out of the window. The frame appears, and we zoom out to reveal a house, beautifully lit by sunshine (yellowish bricks, glare/twinkle in the window). Gradually, the exterior of this house peels away to reveal the caravan - THE MUSIC BEGINS HERE. We get as far as seeing the entire side panel, with a bright light shining from behind. Suddenly we hear a 'crunch' sound, as if wood is separating (breaking away), and the side panel drops to reveal that bright light in all its glory, with only a 'frame' remaining, albeit one of late Victorian/early Edwardian decor.
· The character (puppet) appears, along with various drawn props that depict the same room, with old photos - blurred out - and other 'memories' being projected behind.
· THIS WILL BE SHOT SEPARATELY (IN TIME TO THE MUSIC) AND EVERYTHING ON THE SET WILL BE SHOT AGAINST GREEN-SCREEN.
· 7 KEY MEMORIES (1 for introduction and 6 others to compliment the verses in “When I Was a Lad” from ‘HMS Pinafore’):
o Bedroom at Ash Tree Field - wallpaper, white furniture, landing
o Garden at Ash Tree Field – paddling pool, blue car/other toys, stinging nettles
o Pram - myself and Mark in a field/by a path (Harlow Common?)
o Blackgang Chine - whale mouth, toadstools, Nurseryland
o Lounge at Whitewaits – receiving Castle Grayskull and watching TWITW
o Clacton-On-Sea – the Laughing Clown/Pavilion
o Lounge at Pear Tree Mead – Christmas with the clowns (magical)
· TITLE IDEAS:
o When I Was a Lad
o House and Cart